20090224

LR/ACR Preset: Fuji Fujicolor Press 800

LR/ACR Preset: Fuji Fujicolor Press 800

Alright, here is a preset I had mentioned I have been working on for a little while. Today I release my version of Fuji's Fujicolor Press 800 film, which was design to be a high-speed film primarily for media use in adverse lighting conditions. The emulsion is rather grainy, but grabs sharp, clear images. This was one of the first Fuji film emulsions that utilized their 4th color layer, leading to vibrant images even under bad lighting without sacrificing shutter speed.

A warning up front, my presets are primarily designed from me physically shooting a roll of film and then further analysis. Sometimes this can lead to unique effects from roll to roll. I feel this is a case of that, the blues in this roll and emulation are really washed out, as you can see in the image above. I could correct this, and make the blues look more "correct" however that would be an inaccurate emulation of this roll. I emulate actual film, not the average look of the film. As I shoot more, there will be new emulations of every film I have done so far. It is the way I am choosing to do this project...there is no end all be all emulation for any film, each batch of film created will differ in appearance and reaction from batch to batch...therefore my emulations retain the quirks of each individual roll and each processing method used.

To compensate for the washed out blues, I recommend that you first slowly lower the Blue channel Luminosity, bringing some more depth to the color. If that is not enough, increase the Blue Saturation slowly until you get what you are looking for. Only do this if you really nee to do the blues, as most other colors look accurate compared to other samples of the film I have encountered. Enjoy the preset.






That is all for today, quick post just to make the release. Enjoy your day, and if you have any beautiful photos that you have just process with my or anyone else's preset, please consider entering it in the Presetting Lightroom contest on Flickr. Just a few days left to enter!

Until Tomorrow,

Michael

No comments: